Saturday – 4:30 PM
The Walk & Knit Challenge Relay is back and now with an opportunity for crocheters to take part in the fun! Walk & Knit was inspired by a similar team-relay race that takes place in Estonia, known there as Käi ja Koo. Put a team of four together for this friendly, fun, fast-paced, walking and knitting – or walking and crocheting - event. OR sign up individually and we will put a team together for you. Proceeds from this event will support youth activities related to wool. If you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, come and watch as teams take on the challenge of knitting/crocheting while walking, and cheer on your favorite team!
Walk and Knit Rules:
- Each team will have a single knitting or crocheting project. The yarn ball will be kept in a knitting project bag, hanging on the competitor’s wrist. The bag and project will be handed over from one team member to another at the end of each lap, as in a relay race.
- Each team member walks one lap about 100 yards long, while knitting in stockinette stitch on circular needles OR crocheting single crochets (sc) with a crochet hook.
- Points will be given to each team based on the number of stitches knit or crocheted (higher number of stitches = more points) and the time to finish the course (faster time = more points), and points will be subtracted for errors (dropped stitches, etc). The team with the most points wins.
- Teams will be composed of four members (at the discretion of the judges, teams with fewer members may participate and individual members may walk more than one lap so that a total of four laps are completed by each team)
- Supplies (yarn, circular needles, hooks, knitting project bags) will be provided by organizers.
- All team members must report to Walk & Knit Way (the road just south of WOW Classes Bldg #1) between 4:00-4:15 on Saturday. The event will take place on Walk & Knit Way beginning at 4:30 pm.
- Knitting Teams: Before the start, each team’s knitting project will be prepared, with 100 stitches cast on and the first four rounds knit using sport-weight yarn and size 5 circular needles.
- Crocheting Teams: Before the start, each team’s crocheting project will be prepared, with 51 ch(s) and 50 sc(s) on foundation row and first 4 rows using sport weight yarn and size G hook.
- The race takes place on an asphalt surface. Please wear suitable footwear and be aware that knitting needles and crochet hooks can be hazardous. Festival and organizers are not liable for injuries.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE - AUGUST 15
Walk-Ins MAY be accepted (or may not be able to be accommodated). Those persons registering as an individual will be assigned to teams by the organizers. No refunds given for cancellations. Questions? Contact Lisa Shuppe at email@example.com or 262 573-3110.
If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. Registration does not include admission to the Festival. If registering for a team, only ONE team member should register!
HOW TO REGISTER
Go to: www.wisconsinsheepandwoolfestival.com
Go to: Competitions – Walk Knit/Crochet
- Click on REGISTER HERE. (A new tab will open at ShoWorks. All registrations and payments are handled by ShoWorks.)
- Once at ShoWorks, you will need to CREATE AN ACCOUNT (user name and password) as an “exhibitor” – even if you registered/entered in previous years.
- Find the type of entry/order you wish to place. Select Walk & Knit – Walk & Crochet Challenge relay for both Department and Division.
- To register as a TEAM, select Class 700 - $20 per Team.
Remember: Only one member from each team can register.To register as an INDIVIDUAL, select Class 701 - $10 per person
(You’ll be assigned to a team at the competition)
- ORDER - Once you have an entry in your shopping cart, you can save your progress and return at a later time. Returning users can sign in with user name and password.
- PAYMENT - No saved registrations can be guaranteed unless payment is made. Payment must be made by credit card at the end of the registration process through the ShoWorks secure online system.
- When you are finished registering, you’ll receive an email confirmation. However, PRINT AND SAVE YOUR ORDER in case your email confirmation does not go through. If you forget to print your order, or entered an incorrect email address, ShoWorks stores your order in your profile. You may reprint it at any time.
If you need assistance or are having difficulty registering, please email the Festival Office anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608 743-9080 after 5:00 p.m.
PARKING – PLEASE USE GATE 1