Saturday – 4:30 PM
This Walk and Knit event was inspired by a similar team-relay race that takes place in Estonia, known there as Käi ja Koo. Join together with your friends (teams of four) in this friendly, fun, fast-paced, walking and knitting event. OR sign up individually and we will put a team together for you. Proceeds from this event will support youth activities related to wool AND fabulous prizes will be given to members of the top three teams. If you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, come and watch as teams take on the challenge of knitting while walking, and cheer on your favorite team. Sincere thanks to our many sponsors and supporters!
Walk and Knit Rules:
- Each team will have one knitting project to work. The yarn ball is kept in a knitting project bag, hanging on the competitor’s wrist. The bag and knitting will be handed over from one team member to another at the end of each lap, as in a relay race.
- Each team member walks one lap about 100 yards long, while knitting in stockinette stitch on circular needles.
- Points will be given to each team based on the number of stitches knit (higher number of stitches = more points) and the time to finish the course (faster time = more points), and points will be subtracted for errors (dropped stitches, etc). The team with the most points wins.
- Teams will be composed of four members (at the discretion of the judges, teams with fewer members may participate and individual members may walk more than one lap so that a total of four laps are completed by each team)
- Supplies (yarn, circular needles, knitting project bags) will be provided by organizers.
- All team members must report to Walk & Knit Way (the road just south of WOW Classes Bldg #1) between 4:00-4:15 on Saturday. The event will take place on Walk & Knit Way beginning at 4:30 pm.
- Before the start, each team’s knitting project will be prepared, with 100 stitches cast on and the first four rounds knit using sport-weight yarn and size 5 circular needles.
- The race is taking place on an asphalt surface. Please wear suitable footwear and be aware that knitting needles can be hazardous. Festival and organizers are not liable for injuries.
2 Guys Yarn Company, Arachne Spinners Guild, Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill, Bleating Heart Haven, Blue Tulips knitting paraphernalia, clever.knitting, Enchanted Meadows Alpacas, Ewetopia, Fiber Optic Yarns, Fiberwood Studio, Fiddlehead Yarns, Greater Milwaukee Knitting Guild, Hearthside Fibers, Hidden Valley Farms & Woolen Mill, A Hundred Ravens, Iris Fine Yarns, Jenny Blasen Pottery, Kaleidoscope Fibers, Knit Baah Purl, knitch, Knitcircus Studio, Knitter’s Journey, Knitter’s Treat, Knitting Knook, Knitting Notions, The Knitting Room, The Knitting Tree, Madison Knitting Guild, Needles ‘n Pins Yarn Shoppe, Ogle Design, River Boutique and Yarns, River’s Edge Fiber Arts, Shady Haven’s Fiber Designs, Sievers School of Fiber Arts, Sophie’s Toes, The Sow’s Ear, Spin of Door County, Spry Whimsy Fiber Arts, Studio S Fiber Arts, Sun Valley Fibers, Susan’s Fiber Shop, Theodora’s Pearls, The Wool & Cotton Co., Yarn Culture, and Yarns by Design.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE - AUGUST 15
Walk-Ins MAY be accepted (or may not be able to be accommodated). Those persons registering as an individual will be assigned to teams by the organizers. No refunds given for cancellations. Contact Mary Germain with questions at email@example.com or 414-964-7746.
HOW TO REGISTER
- Click on the REGISTER NOW button below. ( A new tab will open at Showorks. All registrations/payments are handled by ShoWorks.)
- Once at ShoWorks, you will need to CREATE AN ACCOUNT (user name and password). If you have already created an account, you will need to login to your account to place an ORDER.
- To register a TEAM (4 persons) Select Class 700 | Registration $20 per team
- To register an INDIVIDUAL Select Class 701 | Registration $10 per individual
- ORDER - Once you have an entry in your shopping cart, you can save your progress and return at a later time. Returning users can sign in with user name and password.
- PAYMENT - No saved registrations can be guaranteed unless payment is made. Payment must be made by credit card at the end of the registration process through our secure online system.
- When you are finished registering, you’ll receive an email confirmation. PRINT YOUR ORDER in case your email confirmation does not go through.
If you forget to print your order, or entered an incorrect email address, ShoWorks stores your order in your profile. You may reprint it at anytime.
If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. Registration does not include admission to the Festival. If registering for a team, only ONE team member should register!